Senior Field Associate
About Families USA
For more than 25 years, Families USA has worked at the national, state, and community levels toward the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all. We work to improve public health programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), as well as ensure that health reform meets the needs of vulnerable populations. Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, Families USA has focused on policy and regulatory implementation, public education, and developing enrollment infrastructures, in addition to the issues listed above.
About the Position
Families USA has an exciting opportunity for a passionate, hard-working, energetic individual to be our new Senior Field Associate.
The Senior Field Associate reports to the Field Director and the Director of Special Initiatives. The Senior Field Associate is an integral part of the Field Team and will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with state and local organizations. The Field Team partners with state and local consumer health advocates and acts as a liaison between those advocates and Families USA. The Senior Field Associate helps advocates get the tools, information, and resources they need to expand access to health care. He or she works closely with other Families USA departments, including Communications, Government Affairs, Health Policy, Health Equity, and Publications.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Developing and nurturing relationships with grassroots health care leaders and their organizations. Gathering and compiling information about the capacities and needs of grassroots groups. Communicating Families USA’s policy priorities and plans to key state organizations.
- Developing and managing contracts with state groups for specific priority issues.
- Monitoring relevant state legislative developments and identifying health reform trends.
- Working with other Families USA departments to respond to requests for technical assistance, coordinating co-releases of Families USA media reports, and providing materials.
- Coordinating meetings, special events, and out-of-town campaigns.
- Drafting email communication, action alerts, advocacy tools (e.g., sample op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets), and website content.
- Coordinating publication of the “State Health Beat” monthly e-newsletter. Leading a small team to determine content and write compelling articles.
- Coordinating learning communities of state advocates to promote the sharing of best practices and trends.
- Assisting in the planning of Families USA’s annual pre-conference and conference.
- Leading interdepartmental efforts to track and coordinate communication and outreach to state advocates.
- Working with the Field Team to shape the short- and long-term directions of the department.
Candidates for the position should have two or more years of field experience with advocacy organizations; excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal skills; and a strong commitment to issues of health access and social justice. Candidates must be willing to travel up to 20 percent of the time. Health care advocacy experience is a definite plus, but it is not essential. A sense of humor, flexibility, and the ability to work on a team in a fast-paced environment are important.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Generous benefits are provided. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com (please note job title in subject line) or mail to:
Senior Field Associate Search
1201 New York Ave. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005