Washington, D.C. — Children and young adults ages nine through 18 will have a chance this fall to show off their writing skills, compete for cash prizes and perhaps even win a trip to Washington, D.C., as part of a national health care essay contest.
The contest is sponsored by the Campaign for Children’s Health Care, a coalition of more than 50 national organizations that have come together to raise public awareness about the plight of the more than nine million children who have no health care coverage.
Titled “When an Apple a Day Isn’t Enough,” the contest calls on its young entrants to give thought – and then give voice – to all the reasons they believe that ready access to health care can affect their lives and the lives of those around them.
“The broad goal of the contest is to help shape public policy to address the healthcare needs of uninsured children,” Ron Pollack, executive director of Families USA, said today. Families USA is one of the organizing partners of the Campaign for Children’s Health Care.
“In the short term, of course, we are confident that this contest will promote a greater understanding – in the young contestants, in their families, and in their school systems –
about the importance of ready access to health care for young people as they strive to learn and to grow into healthy young adults,” Pollack said.
“This contest is a powerful way to humanize a very serious problem and to explain it to people who don’t know what it’s like to lack health insurance,” Antonia Cortese, executive vice president of the American Federation of Teachers, said today. “It’s also a terrific way to hone one’s writing skills.”
Census data released last week, which revealed that the number of uninsured children continues to rise in both absolute terms and in the percentage of children nationwide, only underscores the need for immediate public response to the problem.
“Many Americans cling blindly to the belief that our children receive all the health care they need to perform well in school, lead healthy, active lives, and become productive citizens,” Pollack said. “As a nation, we need to wake up and respond to a crisis that affects our nation’s future.”
The essay contest, which begins today, will end on October 31. Essays must be received or postmarked by 11:59 pm on October 31, 2006.
Winners will be selected from two age groups in each state — 9-13 and 14-18. These state winners will each receive a $250 cash prize and will have their essays published in a campaign publication.
From this pool of state winners, one Grand Prize winner will be selected from each age group. The Grand Prize winners will be awarded $2,500 and will be flown to Washington, D.C., (along with their teacher and a parent) for a special awards ceremony in February 2007.
The campaign rewards participating sponsors, as well. One teacher or program facilitator for each Grand Prize winner will also receive a trip to Washington, D.C., and will be recognized with his or her student at the awards ceremony. In addition, the school or institution that submits the most entries will receive a $2,000 cash award for school supplies.
Complete contest rules, entry packets, and lesson plans for each age group are available online at http://www.childrenshealthcampaign.org/events/national-essay-contest.html. No entry fee is required. Odds in winning depend upon the number of entries submitted per state and age category.