Families USA created an infographic to supplement “The Fierce Urgency of Now: Federal and State Policy Recommendations to Address Health Inequities in the Era of COVID-19.” The companion report can be found here.
Disparities in COVID-19 health outcomes stem from health inequities rooted in systemic and unjust social and economic policies. The pandemic has worsened existing health inequities, disproportionately affecting communities of color, immigrant communities, people with disabilities, and other marginalized groups. Congress must act now. This visualization illustrates five concrete policy priorities that the federal government and states must take to mitigate the impact of the immediate crisis, and policy solutions to adopt once the national emergency declaration has been lifted.
- Address the social determinants of health.
- Build strong financial incentives for improved health equity in our health care system.
- Organize and build national public health capacity both to fight COVID-19 and to reduce the burden of chronic illness in vulnerable communities.
- Ensure equitable access to affordable health insurance.
- Expand access to COVID-19 treatment for vulnerable populations.
06.17.2020 / Fact Sheet
07.01.2020 / Advocacy ToolkitVideo